Product Design provides students with an opportunity to design and make a wide range of different products. They solve problems, test their solutions and develop their drawing and practical skills. All students will work in a range of different materials to make their products.
Key Stage 3 – Year 7 & 8 - 1 x 1hr per week
Year 9 -2 x 1hr per week if selected as an option
Key Stage 4 – 3 x 1hr per week
Introduction to Product Design. Getting used to working in the design rooms and workshop, using a range of hand tools, equipment and materials to make:-
- A wooden puzzle
- An electronic steady hand test game
- A prototype board game
This year is about developing skills further, being able to work more independently and making more complex projects:-
- Wooden Box
- Acrylic Clock
- Mobile Phone design and business presentation
This year prepares students for the path they could take at KS4
- Understanding Materials
- Home Accessories design and make
GCSE Design Technology AQA
Across the two year course students will work on a range of different projects developing designing and making skills. 50% of the GCSE is assessed through coursework. Students will develop their practical skills with wood, metal and plastics to be able to work precisely, producing high quality, accurate practical work.
In the summer term of Year 10 a design problem will be set by AQA, students will then produce a concise folder of work and a prototype product that demonstrates how they would solve that problem.
Across the 2 year course students will study core technical principles
- new and emerging technologies
- energy generation and storage
- developments in new materials
- systems approach to designing
- mechanical devices
- materials and their working properties.
And develop knowledge and understanding of specialist technical principles
- selection of materials or components
- forces and stresses
- ecological and social footprint
- sources and origins
- using and working with materials
- stock forms, types and sizes
- scales of production
- specialist techniques and processes
- surface treatments and finishes.
This knowledge will be tested in a final 2 hour exam.
This is a new GCSE course, first examination 2019.